Monday, January 9, 2012

Watermelon Capitol of the World Raises One Right!

Rush Springs is a town in Grady County, Oklahoma In 2000, the US census reported a "robust" population of 1278 folk.  Rush Springs is 27 miles from here and 53 miles from there.  Most people leave the key under the mat, if they lock the door.  It has that Mayberry atmosphere.

Known as the "Watermelon Capitol of the World," Rush Springs has hosted an annual Watermelon Festival since the 1940s. Today, watermelon seems to be its largest claim to fame; unless of course, you count its most notable nice people.  Yes, I am talking nice, good, solid people.  The kind of people that make good friends.  I speak from experience because my good friend,
Walter Terrell hails from the watermelon Capitol of the World! 

Now I realize, some may see us as an unlikely friendship. It is not like we are 2 guys going fishing or two girls shopping.  No, I never played professional basketball.    Walt played like a pro, with the pros (it wasn't until his late 70's that he racked his knee). Walt spent his fair time in the oil and gas jobs; my dad paid my college tuition while working an oil and gas job. I have never visited a prison; Walt was a prison warden before he began his real estate career.  An interesting man whose life's road maps have taken a lot of twists and turns.  No better man, you will you meet.

Today is Walt's birthday.    A few of his friends will gather  to wish him the best.  If you are in the area, please stop by Park on Main today from 3 to 5 and say hi to Walt.  If you cannot drop by, give Walt a call to say Happy Birthday.  He can be reached at 405-820-1485. 

Happy Birthday, my friend, and many more. 

1 comment:

  1. I can say a hearty AMEN to that! Sharp as ever and one of the most solid friends you could ever find! Rush Springs and Mama & Papa Terrell did somethin' right! Walt, may you have the most Blessed year of your life in 2012!!! Sharon

    ReplyDelete