Monday, November 8, 2010

I Learned the Last Lesson in 1998

My mom died in 1998. 
She was 64 years old.  Too young. 
I was 46; too young to lose my mom
I realize many people lose their mom much earlier in life, but I selfishly feel I had many more "mom" lessons to learn.  Today, I have memories and the principles she taught me, so you might say, mom is with me every day.
My mom stayed home.  She baked cookies and met us at the bus stop on a regular basis.  My brother, sister and I did not know how lucky we were. Life really was good.  We learned thru example.  Mom's example.

Ok, you say, enough history--on with the real estate connection! 

Mom's example # 1--listen to your inner voice!  If you know in your heart and head something is not right, don't do it.  So often we are faced with value judgements, our inner voice tells us truth.    It is up to us to make sure disclosures are correct and that both buyer and seller understand them.  It is up to us to explain whether you are a buyer, seller or transaction broker.  It is up to us, to not cross the line; we instinctively know where it is.  Although mom probably never heard of broker relationship, she taught us early to make decisions based on honesty and truthfulness.  Isn't that what all relationships, are about?  So, just to put it all together, mom taught us about honesty, truthfulness,  and values -- all components that drive that inner voice.  That voice was always there.  Mom taught me to listen.
Mom's example #2 Live with integrity!  It was my mom who first introduced to me  the idea of a value system.  Again, this was not the term she used.  It was the life she lived.  Her business was our home; doing the right thing was the unspoken word of the household.  Hopefully, your value system meshes with the one mom taught me.  It has always been important to surround myself with those of similar beliefs.  Your real estate business is based on your belief system.  Is it important to you, to do the right thing?  Is it important to you, to run your business with consistency in your words and actions?  These small lessons can speak volumes when it comes to defining who you are and what you want from your life, both professionally and personally.
Today, think about your "mom lessons."    My mom never attempted to teach me one thing about real estate or how to run a real estate business. Oddly enough, I find, the lessons I learned from mom are the building blocks to my business.  Oh, how much more I could have learned!

There, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment