Friday, November 5, 2010

Do NOT Pass Judgement!

If you know me well, you know I absolutely HATE for one person to make  judgement calls for others!!!  In other words, I have very little patience with black and white.  I was reminded of this as I perused the pages of a real estate associates' bulletin board.  One rookie innocently asked the question, "any good lead program suggestions?"  Oh my, the "old crew" took off with all the wrath they could pull from the written word.  It was such a fury that I actually felt my hair blow back.  Well, not really, but there did seem to be a "great divide" among the contributors.
Of course, a few good hearted, probably Gen X and Gen Y Realtors, happily advised of companies, that offer a pay-per-lead service.  A few, probably of the same generations, mentioned companies that offer _____ number of leads per month at a flat rate, while others boasted of results from a lead generating website, costing just "bargain dollars."   All comments had merit and some contributors actually gave reasons for using these lead generators.  As the younger generation says "it was all good!" 

Now, for the attitude that just rips me apart, "I don't pay for leads, I get referrals from my COI!"  Talk about "old school!" 

Ok, it is the truth about real estate and somebody's just gotta say it----so her I go again!

The attitude that anyone of us, is too good to purchase a lead  went out the door with the MLS books.  Anybody still use those?   Yes, good Realtors do get most of their referrals from a COI, but that is a maintenance prescription!  COIs  can die, move, or get mad at you, making a back-up plan necessary.  Challenge:  if you do not believe me, try keeping a list alive with no infusion of new blood.  Can't be "did!"  Try it and you are "done!" 

Now, I am not suggesting that "buying" a lead is the only way to beef up your list; its just one way!  In my humble and often, "off-center" opinion, it is acceptable.  After all, for years, it has been acceptable to pay a monthly fee for a site and work the leads----hmmm, sounds like old-age lead buying.  Today, it is not uncommon to receive a referral from another licensed entity and to be expected to pay a referral fee----sounds like new-age lead buying!  Here is the big TABOO, Non-Real Estate Company XYZ sets up a website, allowing you to post FOR FREE your listings!  This tremendously successful site collects names by advertising your listings and sells them!  Now, before you get too bent out of shape, don't forget you still have choices! Your choices are to play or not play. 

So today's ramblings come down to just a couple of thoughts:
1.  Make the best choices for you today
2.  Do not be too critical of the choices of others
In these instances of real estate "rights or wrongs," the truth can often be unique for each practitioner.  Decide what is right for you, based on your needs, today.  Don't be afraid to change; tomorrow may be different!

There I went again!

No comments:

Post a Comment