Monday, February 14, 2011

So, You're a Whale. Are You Successful?

A tool on our local mls allows brokers to pull agent production reports.  The idea is to reward associates by bragging about their production.  It is a tool I do not use.  Notice I said "use".  It is a tool I sometimes find interesting, when snowed in, and unable to accomplish my "real" tasks!  You see, I see associates as much more than a number.  Maybe I am wrong, maybe you do not agree but this blog is mine:))   This is my attempt to right a wrong, at least in my corner of this competitive market. 
First of all I find it interesting that we are forced to get along as we compete.  This environment alone, creates friction.  OOOOH, I hate conflict and I hate friction.  Sometimes, I do find it necessary to go against the norm and state an unpopular opinion!  Today may be one of those days.
Here is my take on "numbers".  No doubt, you, as an agent need to know your numbers.  Your numbers are a measurement for growth or stability.  Your numbers are just that, YOUR NUMBERS.  I rarely see a reason for others to know your numbers.  Truth being said, honoring production fails to enourage production.  Honoring production does not teach a lesson I would enencourage.  Generally lower producer are secretly discouraged.  Truth, again, higher producers should know their numbers without a public announcement.  Even if friends rejoice, no doubt there is some pain attached to their short comings. 

I realize, this is my theory and likely, my theory alone. Here's a novel idea: what if, we brokers awarded our associates for how they have grown as people?  Measuring this success is not about numbers.   I have seen big producers, basically take a year off.  Now, I am not talking about a bahama vacation.   I am talking about maintaining a level of business to pay the bills, while growing up.  Growing up can begin with humanitarian efforts and end with re-vamping a business plan.  When was the last time you took a day or a week to really work "on" and "learn more" about your business?  It is important to "stay smart".  For instance, even if you hire out such things as social marketing, it is still vital for you to know what it is and how to do it.  It is important to know how it affects your business. 
Secondly, helping others will only help you.  There are many ways to say this and much has been written in a much more fluent style.   Sharing what you know does not threaten a thriving business.  It enhances it!  I know I have found many times, that as a teacher, I become a student.  You see, you can never know it all and we all have something to share with others.
Ok, so I made my point.  I do not like numbers.   Now, you know why!  There, I said it again!

1 comment:

  1. Very well stated. I have been a "numbers" agent in the past and do appreciate being able to know I work hard to be a Top Producer...however; in watching my mentors and listening to others around me that seem to have wisdom, I realize how important it is to stop and analyze why we do what we do, grow....and pay it forward. Growing is individuals is probably more difficult than advancing our production in many ways. I personally, will continue to strive to "keep my production numbers up" but think it is wise to look at the bigger picture and to develop as people. Very well said Gwen! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete