Thursday, October 28, 2010

"I would KILL for the Nobel Peace Prize!"

“I would kill for the Nobel Peace Prize,” no, I did not originate this quote, but I have seen much of this thought process in my real estate career!  Funny man Stephen Wright blandly made an audience giggle and wiggle (those not getting’ it) when he added the Nobel Prize to his bucket list!  It is a Wednesday and it is only 1030 am in my zone; already I have seen several people living this remark.  Stay with me, cause I just gotta say this!
Ok, as stated, I am a Realtor and a manager.  It is my job to “advise.”  As we all know, no one asks for advice until there is a problem!  Now, on the other hand, I am happy my people come to me with their problems, before they become my problem, ¿Sabes? (as my dad would say)! Problem of the day:

  1. Buyer and Seller are at odds over repairs
  2. Realtor A (listing) is at odds with Seller
  3. Realtor B (selling) is at odds with Buyer
  4. Realtor A and B at odds with each other
I am sure you not only get the picture, but if you have selling or listing experience, you have lived this moment!  Obviously, no resolution here, right????  Well, not so fast, we do have a missing component!  That component is the Peacemaker, a role that can be taken on by either buying or selling Realtor.  Too often buyers and sellers (and maybe some Realtors), are directed toward one thing; BEING RIGHT!  Remember, this is a real estate transaction, we are Realtors.  Realtors are always right.  Well ok, if you believe the last two statements, then you believe, YOU are right!  You might recognize this “syllogism”.  One thing about syllogisms, they are not always correct!  They are just “conclusions.”  Personally, I do not buy into every conclusion, but I do respect everyone’s right to have their own opinion/conclusion!  Oh, how much more quality time we could have if we spent our days allowing people to have their opinions and less time trying to convince them of ours!  How I would kill for the Nobel Prize! 

It is now 11:30 am  Realtor A, just came in, contract in hand and said "here's where I made a mistake."   Now that is a "peacemaker."  That problem is now "off my plate."

Martin Luther King Jr. once said “Those of us who love peace must learn to organize as effectively as those who love war.”  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment